Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Who's the Best Phantom of the Opera?

http://www.musicaltheatrespot.com/14-who-is-the-best-phantom-a-video-gallery.html

Antonio as the Phantom? Who woulda thunk? His voice is good, but I can't get past the accent. I think the made a good choice with casting Gerard Butler in the film version. I really like the Colm Wilkinson version! Personally, my favorite Phantom will always be Crawford, but it's sad because the Phantom is the only role he can sing and sound good on. I bought his CD once and regretted it the minute I started listening to it. I've never been a big fan of Brightman. I saw the show in NYC last fall twice and didn't care much for it. It seemed rather cheesy in the staging and the singing wasn't very good. I was sad, because I love the movie so much and I loved the show the first five times I saw it in San Francisco. I've seen Howard McGillin and think his understudy is better. It was interesting to watch all the other videos of various Phantoms from throughout the years. I've found that no one will ever be up to the par set by Crawford, though.

No comments: