Monday, August 13, 2007

Testing what you Hear

http://msp31wannabe.blogspot.com/2007/08/blind-leading-blind-by-shalene.html

I agree entirely with Shalene if I interpret one sentence the way I think she meant it. If I didn't, I'd have to deduct two points. (Hey, 98% is still an A+!)"I only follow the leading of the Holy Spirit, and am inspired by Him alone. But test all that I say as well. Know for yourself the Truth!"Today, inspiration constitutes a huge sore point between Christians. As Shalene said, only the Bible is God's inerrant Word; but many, many of us (along with many false believers) have fallen for the idea that God inspires (in the Greek, "God-breathes") the words of some people on a par with how He inspired the Bible. It's such an easy shortcut to substitute the supposed leading of the Spirit for the reading of the Spirit's Words. That way, it doesn't take any sacrifice of time or energy to become as much of an authority as the next person.I'm not disagreeing with Shalene's post -- I'm just responding to a pervasive error in churchianity that would be avoided if more people took her advice. Shalene's words bear repeating:"But test all that I say as well. Know for yourself the Truth!"

1 comment:

Shalene said...

Hi Phd! First let me say that I am happy you've taken your nickname I gave you in the spirit it was intended. :) Perhaps I'm not the first to give you the nickname, but I'm claiming it nonetheless. You assumed correctly what I meant by "I only follow the leading of the Holy Spirit and am inspired by Him alone." I do NOT for one moment think that "God breathes" the words I write... That would be rather presumptuous wouldn't it?! No, I meant that God's Holy Word inspires me and that I am moved by the Spirit to help others to understand it. The instruction that I have been given by Jesus- along with every other Christ follower- to obey the Great Commission is my source of inspiration. Therefore, I say that He inspires me alone. Does that make sense? Basically, I am saying that I have no other purpose for writing what I write, other than to further His Kingdom, and to glorify Him alone. Thanks for the comments.
In Him-Shalene