Monday, August 13, 2007

The Catholic Church and the Primacy of Peter

http://www.sicarii.net/2007/08/14/the-primacy-of-peter/

Great post!!! My dad has always had similar opinions and made them known to me. I've found that he has good reasoning and upon my own reading and knowledge of the topic I must also agree with what you have said.

I think one slight problem with the Catholic church's assertions is that it seems to place itself eqaul with Christ. They still have confessions, don't they? And you have to go through the priest to have communion. Most Catholic churches teach salvation through works, not faith, as well, which is one of my biggest pet peeves.

I've known several Catholics who don't believe in these things. I know there are those who go to Catholic church, but really do have the heart relationship with Christ and belive in salvation through faith in Christ alone. I find that many do not realize what their church teaches. Either that or they blindly feed off of what they are told.

In regards to who is Christ's representative on earth, I belive we all have the equal responsibilty to represent Christ. I also think this is one of the reasons why community is so important. We work together as a community and as individuals to witness to those around us. There is no one specific representative of Christ that leads the church, we all work together to move the church forward.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Post. Take care

Anonymous said...

Thanks for showing that blog is very good

Poorhouse Dad said...

Thank you for that post. Just to re-inforce what you said:

Paul excoriates the Corinthians for dividing into personality cults in 1 Corinthinans, chapter 3. If you read the whole chapter, you'll see him mention himself and Apollos in verses 4-6, and also include Peter ("Cephas" in the KJV) in verse 22. Roman Catholicism remains stuck in the Copernican debate, thinking that "The Church" is the center of the Universe.

Two titles the Pope dares to take upon himself are the Paraclete and the Vicar of Christ. That's just plain ignorant. Jesus specifically said that the Paraclete would be the Holy Spirit. By extension, every Spirit-indwelt believer is a vicar of Christ, just like you said.

(I leave it to you to look up the definitions of paraclete and vicar.)

(I hope I'm not repeating anything the original post said.)

Poorhouse Dad said...

Every Spirit-indwelt believer has just as much right as the Poope has to call him- or herself a vicar of Christ to the world. I don’t think “representative” is too heavy a term because Paul called himself an ambassador.